message in a bottle

Monday, October 23, 2006

over coffee and waffles

Had a fairly boring yet full weekend.

Since I had to render weekend shift, I was hurrying everything I had to do so I can meet up with my other "commitments".

Saturday night, I found myself talking passionately about the pressure of getting married with a guy friend of mine. The couples group met up at a Starbucks in Sucat and a casual night cap turned into a very interesting dialogue amongst couples.

I was asked one of the most basking questions I try to avoid...marriage.

Why so?

Well, unlike the many fortunate girlfriends out there, I wasn't given that great sense of security of openly discussing it my with boyfriend. Why so? 'coz my boyfriend does not have an inch of that thought in his mind and avoids the topic like a plague. I think every guy does.

So when asked, I just simply said that I've become far too jaded and detached to the idea. He asked me of what I thought about the pressure it has on guys.

And my explanation was: mine is a story often told....

For women, especially those who are in a long-term relationship, of course it would be a given for us to think about the future with our current partner. It's something that you cannot just dismiss. It also becomes bothersome when your partner doesn't seem to care that YOU care about it. There is always that thought in your head of wanting to know where the relationship is going. A nagging thought you just want to go away.

So I somehow shed light to the mounting pressure my guy friend is bewildered with. The fact that his girlfriend and my boyfriend are right beside us makes the whole conversation funny, refreshing and dreadful all at the same time.

6 comment(s):

I don't remember if I read it somewhere or heard it in one of those numerous talk shows but really, why be in a relationship in the first place? Is it just to have someone to spend Saturdays with? Is it only for the NOW and not the future? Isn't it to someday have that lifelong commitment (and in Philippine society, this means getting married) with someone? It was asked, what's the use of being in a relationship when you already know that it does not lead to anything? Why waste the time?

Hehehe. I am in rant mode!

By Blogger ALGM, at 4:14 PM  

true, true...rant mode ba? ako din, hehe....sanay na...

By Blogger starry-eyed lean, at 4:16 PM  

does this mean spinsterhood is the way to go? hehehehe...

By Blogger starry-eyed lean, at 4:19 PM  

sadly no, it's a vicious cycle I tell you!!

By Blogger ALGM, at 5:27 PM  

There shouldnt be pressure on both sides when both feel secure to each other.

By Blogger omi, at 9:55 AM  

deep naman nun MM!

By Blogger starry-eyed lean, at 11:33 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home