message in a bottle

Monday, July 31, 2006

breaking up is hard to do


Remember this song by the Beatles? I'm 100% sure that when this song became a hit, it's either I haven't been culminated yet or I'm still on breastfeeding.

But then again, it all became reminiscent when we watched "The Break-Up" over the weekend.

The movie was inspiring. Not that I am advertising it because I'm in a relationship, but hey, it calls more to couples than it is to singletons. But then again, it's a movie where relationship lessons are learned by everyone - single or attached.

Crissy, her boyfriend Lolo, me and my boyfriend decided to meet up last Saturday afternoon at Seattle's Best Greenbelt to catch the flick. The couple came from a wedding meeting, as part of the business we were setting up. Earlier in the day, it was Lolo and my boyfriend's opening day for their company's sportsfest. It was even my boyfriend who did the sportsmanship oath taking. They also had a presentation and a basketball wherein the team won both.

So, moving on to the movie.

We took the 7:20 pm screening time and this I have to say, Vince Vaugh is hilarious. The movie actually is a romantic comedy, but is of course deeper than the standard norm of stories.

Halfway through the movie, the movie house became stiff silent because everyone was really hanging on to each dialogue the actors are saying. You see, the story is about a couple who lives together in this amazing condo. No, they're not yet married. But the stress of everyday life is starting to take its toll in their relationship and things started heating up when Gary (Vince Vaugh) started taking Brooke (Jennifer Aniston) and the things she does for the relationship for granted. Not to mention the relationship itself in general.

The movie has shown the general picture of a guy and a girl in a committed relationship:

- Guy works, gets home, sits in the couch, picks up the Play Station, oblivious if there's even food for dinner, stands up when the girl calls him to eat. Simple, uncomplicated life.

while...

- Girl works, after work goes grocery shopping for dinner, stops by a florist to buy flowers for the table, gets home, cooks dinner, sets the table, cleans the house, eat dinner with guy, wash the dishes after. Work, work and more work.

The movie showed how a relationship can most of the times be unbalanced and it's the girl who is doing most of the "work".

Halfway through the movie, I was crying my eyes out especially during a scene when Brooke was crying in her room because Gary did not show up at the concert she bought them tickets for. Everything poured out in that scene. Her frustration with him. How she cares so much about him and the relationship and yet she gets nothing back. How he doesn't appreciate the things she does for him - from making his meal, preparing his clothes, how he never asks for what she wants but rather assumes that she will like what he likes.

Shocked as I was, my boyfriend was compassionate when he saw me crying uncontrollably. I guess somehow, he also finally understood what everything is all about.

When the movie was done, most of the girls who watched have blood shot eyes from crying, hahaha.

2 comment(s):

you cried?!!!!!! hahaha lean tlga!

By Blogger TR, at 11:41 AM  

yep, I cried and I cried with mega tears rolling down my cheeks, hehe :D

By Blogger starry-eyed lean, at 2:00 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home